Aug 11, 2007

Top 4: New Fall TV Series

One of the first lists I did was the Summer Series I was excited about, and that really shouldn't fill you with confidence, since one (Hidden Palms) stunk outright, and the #1 show (John from Cincinnati) would tease you with flashes of brilliance in a sea of nonsense. But unlike the summer shows, I've been able to catch a few of the fall pilots, so I can endorse shows with a little more certainty.


#4. Bionic Woman: When news began trickling in about pilots that had been picked up in April and May, this sounded like the one to watch. Battlestar Galactica's David Eick behind the scenes, reworking a known TV brand into a dark sci-fi action/drama, Katee Sackhoff as some kind of badass evil cyborg chick, and the few stills that had been released looked really nice.

Then the original pilot was leaked, and I was underwhelmed. Mae Whitman (Arrested Development's Ann "Egg" Veal) played Jamie Sommers' deaf sister, and that whole plot line was a total dud. The whole feel of the pilot was ruined by it, and I was suddenly not very interested in it at all. However, word has since spread that the sister was rewritten and recast (Lucy Hale takes over). When the one part you hated is the first thing they fix, that's a good sign.

The action sequences were well done, Michelle Ryan handles the lead well, and I really liked the general look of the show. The only complaint I have, which I hope has been addressed in the reworking of the pilot, is that the special effects when Jamie is running fast look goofy. Otherwise, the good parts of the pilot plus my confidence in Eick has me excited for this one. Bionic Woman premieres September 26th on NBC



#3. Dirty Sexy Money: This is one I haven't seen. However, crazy rich people, some great actors, a top notch writer (Craig Wright, of Lost, Brothers and Sisters, and Six Feet Under), and some positive buzz combine to have me pretty excited about it. Mostly the cast, though.

Peter Krause (Sports Night, Six Feet Under, and the underrated The Lost Room) has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Donald Sutherland is obviously a legend in film, and took a pretty good stab at television last year with Commander-in-Chief. Samaire Armstrong (Entourage, The OC) and Natalie Zea (Eyes) provide some eye candy, and William Baldwin provides the, uh, Baldwin-ness. But it's Krause and Sutherland that'll have me tuning in. Dirty Sexy Money premieres September 26th on ABC.


#2. Chuck: I'll be honest with you here, Chuck sounds stupid. All the CIA and NSA's secrets are destroyed, but one unassuming nerd has them magically implanted in his brain, so he becomes some kind of spy or something. Really awful sounding, I know. But you know what? It's good. Very good.

Zachary Levi (who I don't remember in anything, but I guess he was a Less Than Perfect regular) stars as the titular Chuck, and he reminds me of Jimmy Fallon, only he doesn't have that desperate to be liked quality that makes you don't want to punch him in the face (yes, if I were a violent man I would totally slug Jimmy Fallon). Yvonne Strzechowski's name is as hard to spell as she is gorgeous, and Sarah Lancaster (What About Brian, Saved by the Bell: The New Class) is easy on the eyes as well. Adam Baldwin (Firefly) is great, as usual.

As great as the cast is, I think it's the writing that carries Chuck. The OC's Josh Schwartz wrote the pilot, which is funny, sexy, smart, silly, and action packed. If the series retains the quality of the pilot, it should be one of the most fun shows to come along in a while. Chuck premieres September 24th on NBC.


#1. Pushing Daisies: Ned makes pies for a living. Ned can touch dead things and bring them back to life. There's a catch, though. Quite a few, actually. And that's the best way I can think to describe Pushing Daisies.

Writer Brian Fuller has previously given us the quirky/funny/brilliant Dead Like Me, the quirky/funny/brilliant/quickly cancelled Wonderfalls, and the quirky/funny/brilliant/not even picked up to series The Amazing Screw-on Head. He also wrote for the first season of Heroes, providing, as I understand it, most of Claire's story. In any case, he has a track record for creating shows that are fantastical, odd, and wonderful. He's also had a tough time attracting viewers, which is my real fear for Pushing Daisies.

But like Wonderfalls, I intend to enjoy what I can get. Pushing Daisies is somehow morbid and heartwarming, romantic and sweet without being sappy, oddly disturbing but familiar. It's a slightly twisted romantic comedy fairy tale, and everyone should give it a chance. Please. I want to see 3+ seasons of Brian Fuller for once. Thanks. Pushing Daisies premieres October 3rd on ABC... set your Tivos ASAP.

Honorable mention:

  • Gossip Girl - like Chuck, written by Josh Schwartz, narrated by Kristen Bell, schoolgirl uniforms... this makes it at least worth a shot. 9/19 on the CW.
  • Reaper - The Loop's Bret Harrison is pretty funny, Heroes' Missy Peregrym is insanely hot, and the pilot is enjoyable. It's kind of Brimstone but a wacky comedy. 9/24 on the CW.
  • Back to You - Kelsey Grammer, Patricia Heaton, writers from Frasier. It can't be bad, really, which is impressive for a multi camera sitcom these days. 9/19 on Fox.
  • Journeyman - I know almost nothing about it, except some people whose opinions I trust seem to think it's pretty good. 9/24 on NBC

No comments: